Spring is here, heralding the season for flower enthusiasts to indulge in their gardening passions. However, some fresh blooms may not be suitable for indoor cultivation, potentially posing health hazards to your family members.

Among the top contenders in the spring flower category, tulips have been subject to numerous rumors. Some claim that tulips are toxic, that taking photos with them can lead to poisoning, and that they shouldn't be kept indoors. Are these rumors true?

Tulips contain two primary toxic substances: tulipalin A and tulipalin B. Ingesting tulips accidentally can result in symptoms of toxicity such as nausea, vomiting, and excessive salivation due to tulipalin A irritating the digestive tract. Tulipalin B, primarily found in the bulbs and stems, is one of the allergens for humans.

Skin contact with tulips can cause dermatitis, resulting in skin rashes or even blisters, with affected areas not limited to direct contact points. Moreover, tulipalin B can also cause nail brittleness and other nail disorders. However, neither tulipalin A nor tulipalin B can vaporize.

Contrary to rumors, taking photos with tulips or keeping them indoors does not lead to poisoning. Tulip alkaloids do not disperse into the air, meaning cohabitation with tulips does not cause poisoning.

Generally, touching tulips won't cause poisoning unless there's a skin break and the tulip juice comes into contact with the wound, introducing toxic substances in sufficient quantities. Everyone can safely cultivate tulips at home if precautions are taken to prevent children, older people, and pets from ingesting them.

What flowers should you avoid if you have children at home?

Highly fragrant flowers are not suitable for indoor placement.

Another factor often overlooked is the unsuitability of strongly scented plants for prolonged indoor placement, especially in bedrooms. Fragrant flowers like lilies, jasmine, daffodils, night-blooming jasmine, and fully bloomed roses can trigger diseases such as high blood pressure, asthma, and allergies, particularly in sensitive individuals.

The intense fragrance of flowers like night-blooming jasmine can cause dizziness if smelled for extended periods. Lilies can induce insomnia, while prolonged exposure to roses can lead to depression.

Juniper may decrease appetite.

Many enjoy placing potted juniper or cypress on their office desks or study tables for their unique shapes and robust, evergreen foliage.

However, this practice isn't advisable in the long term. In particular, prolonged exposure to the scent of juniper on the desk, while refreshing the brain, may decrease appetite over time.

Mandrake flowers.

Mandrake flowers are like invisible killers, so never keep them at home. They are toxic throughout, with the seeds being highly poisonous, followed by tender leaves. Dried leaves are less harmful than fresh ones. The flowers have narcotic properties.

Since the flower juice stimulates the central nervous system, ingestion can produce stimulating effects and possibly hallucinations. Excessive consumption of mandrake flowers can lead to a sudden reversal from central nervous system stimulation to inhibition, resulting in a drastic decline in bodily functions, potentially leading to death.

When selecting flowers for your home, besides considering their aesthetics and varieties, paying attention to their impact on your family's health is essential. Some flowers may contain toxic substances, necessitating extra caution, particularly if you have children, older people, or pets.

Similarly, the intense fragrances of certain plants should be carefully considered to avoid negatively affecting your family's health. When creating a comfortable home environment, it's not only about visual appeal but also about prioritizing the health and safety of your loved ones.